West Hillhurst is a community is located in the northwest, within the inner city of Calgary. Bordered by the Hounsfield Heights, Briar Hill and St. Andrews Heights communities on the north, 18th Street W to the east, the Bow River to the south and 28th W street to the west. West Hillhurst was annexed by the city of Calgary in 1907 although development started around 1945 with 2.4 km² of land area.
This neighborhood has two schools, including École Madeleine d’Houet (Bilingual Junior High School) and the Louise Dean Centre (a specialized Grade 9 – 12 education program for pregnant and parenting teens). Also the St. Joseph School (Elementary and Junior High), St Mary’s (Senior High) and St. Francis (Senior High), all three belonging to the Calgary Catholic School District, provide a dual track Year Round program for students from the greater North West Calgary Area.